Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Introducing Jason Pisano-His Own Words

This past Monday my two guides and I set out to complete the 110 Boston Marathon. This was my 11th consecutive year racing this historic course. Like every year, I put myself through four months of intense training so I would be prepared for any extra challenge that might present its’ self on Marathon Monday.
The Boston Marathon is one, if not, the most difficult marathon to run in the world. To attempt this 26.2-mile trek from Hopkinton to downtown Boston, one must be both ready mentally and physically to push their bodies to the absolute limits. This year I trained very hard and was probably in the best shape of my life. I really thought I had an excellent chance at setting a personal record on this course, but then it happen.
Two days before the marathon I woke up with a tooth ache and this virus that left all sores in my mouth. I was definitely not happy. I didn’t feel like getting out of bed never mind doing a marathon, but something inside me enjoys an extra challenge, so I decided I was going to race as planned.
Easter morning I went on my final training session. I only went out for 30 or 40 minutes just to loosen up my muscle and I felt OK but I knew I wasn’t going be at full strength. For the rest of the holiday I just relaxed and tried to focus on the race.
After a light supper and watching Rocky IV for the 1,000 times I felt a little better. After a hot shower I went to bed nice and early so I’d be fresh for my 5:30 a.m. wake-up call. I slept well but still didn’t feel at full strength. After dressing and a quick bite to eat, we were off to the staging area. I slept the entire hour ride to Hopkinton. When arrived at the small grammar school where the wheelchair athletes dress and warm-up it was extremely cold. I actually think it was warmer outside than in that school. After we get all set and I was properly in my racing chair we headed up to the starting area. Like each year this area was mobbed with media and spectators. This kind of got me psyched and made me forget about not feeling up to par. After about 20 minutes of giving interviews and warming-up it was show time.
At 10 a.m. I started the race with the Mobility Impaired Division. I still felt a little weak but I was going faster than normal. I passed the eight-mile mark in 1 hour and 53 minutes. I was psyched but still did not feel myself. This is when I fell apart. The next five miles took me almost as long as it took me to do the first eight miles. Right then I knew I was in trouble. I was struggling and Heartbreak Hill (five miles of up-hill) was just a few miles away. Although I knew this was going be my one of my slowest times at Boston I knew I had to push on.
The next 13 miles were brutal. Each year the hills seem to get bigger and longer, or it could just be me getting older. This is the portion of the race where every push hurts so badly. This is also the portion of the course where I get the most encouragement. So many people, runners and spectators, took time to tell me how much I inspire them, or how much they look forward to seeing me struggling up those hills each year. Even if I had ever thought about quitting how could I after hearing all that encouragement.
Finally I sprinted over the line in the heart of Boston in a time of 8 hours, 43 minutes, and 3 seconds. Like any competitive athlete I was very disappointed in my performance, but then I thought of something my friends and family always ask me; “Why do you put yourself through all this?” My answer is because I can.
I can do something that most people cannot ever do. I can show people life is all that you make it. Yes, Monday certainly was not a great day for me, but that does not mean I threw in the towel. These kinds of days only make you stronger for future endeavors. Hopefully everyone appreciated my efforts and I’ll be able to return to Boston next April and really show them my best.

2 comments:

keith champagne said...

Congratulations, Jason! This is a great story and I admire your dedication and iron will. I seriously don't think I could do 26 miles on a bike and break your time...let alone do it 35 times.

Keep it up, brother!

MrNinja said...

Great stuff Jason! It was a tremendous honor for me see first hand the real impact you have on people, and the inspiration and strength other marathoners got from you during the race.
Cheers mate!