Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The high point in my athletic career


After eight months, 491 hours of training on the track, over 5,000 kicks, and endless hours lifting weights, last week my life-long dream/s came true. I was honored to add two gold medals to Team USA’s medal tally at the 2005 CP-ISRA (Cerebral Palsy International Sports and Recreation Association) World Games at Connecticut College, in New London, Conn. Theses games united over 1,000 of the best physically challenged athletes from 36 nations together to compete for world titles in nine different sporting events.
I have been competing in sporting events for over 25 years, but I’ve never experience anything like this event. This competition had a true Olympic feel to it. All 47 members of Team USA worked as one big family throughout this nine-day event. We did everything as a team. We ate, trained, and socialize as a cohesive unit. We (athletes and coaches) came from all over the United States, but we all had one thing in common; representing the US to the highest level.
For the first four days we trained and looked forward to the amazing opening ceremonies. I cannot find the words to say how I felt when I paraded across the field, as a member of Team USA. The pride I felt is overwhelming.
Thursday marked the beginning of my competition. First up was the 100-meter. Wednesday night I thing I only slept about one hour. I was so nervous. This was only my second time competing on the international level and the first time biding for a world championship, I knew I was a heavy underdog, so I just decided t go out there and run the best race I could. When I rolled up to the starting line my stomach was doing back flips. A few seconds later the gun went off and my dream had begun. I didn’t medal in the 100-meter, but I did turn in one of my better times. I came across the finish line in 46:07 seconds.
I had thought I would have Friday off, but while I was relaxing on Thursday evening at 10 p.m. in the Team USA lounge my head coach notified me that the distant kick, my first field event, was moved to 11 a.m. on Friday morning. At this moment I had to switch my entire frame of mind. I knew my best chance for a medal was in both my field events, so I was excited but still quite nervous.
Friday morning was a chilly and rainy one. I arrived at the field over an hour early to get warmed up I felt very good, but the event was to be held on Astroturf and I had never kicked on that surface. Once my events kicked into gear, I clinched two gold medals in both of my field events. The last day I competed in the 200-meter. Once again I turned in a great time, but didn’t medal.
This entire competition was an experience I will cherish for the rest of my life. As they called my name to take the podium in front of the United States flag I realized how proud I was to have had the honor of representing our nation in these games.

No comments: